31 March 2009

a bit more on the Coles

I left out the best part of the comments on the back of the photo, written by Grace (my grandmother), "Anna made all our dresses."
The first of this family in the US was Peter Cole who came with his wife Thona van Beek in 1852. Their son Levi was born 2 years later in Ottawa Co., Michigan. Levi was the father of these 7.
I have been searching the Koole family (and the alternate spellings) in records of Zeeland. Sadly, many of the records were at Middleburg when it was bombed in World War II and were destroyed. Happily, many had been transcribed, or at least indexed earlier in the century, so those copies are available. At this time I think I have the line traced back to Pieter Coole who married in 1702 in Zonnemaire. He had been married before, so he probably was born before 1675, but I have not yet found a record of the earlier marriage (possibly a different town).

No comments:

Post a Comment