07 November 2009

Saturday night fun - surname distribution

Randy Seaver's Saturday night genealogy fun suggests mapping your surname's distribution. I have done this with many of my family names using the tool at the Nederlandse Familienamen Databank. www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/index.php?taal=eng
Pretty much every time, research shows my family is from the area with the highest concentration of the name The data for these maps is taken from the 1947 census of the Netherlands. Interesting that nearly a hundred years later, after 2 World Wars, still the name remains in the same general area.
As I am now working on the Morren family, here is the map of locations of that surname. My family is definitely in the province (Gelderland) with the 290 examples (although we are actually at the far opposite end of the province from where the number displays)


As I get more info here, this name will become meaningful. Trust me for now, it is a complicated story of how I learned about the Hop family and our connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment