22 April 2012

Hop relatives come to America

To find more information on the Hops in Michigan I searched Ancestry.com for individual given names I knew were related.  In a search for Jacob Hop, it came up with 9 Jacobs on passenger lists.  One of these was an Arrival in 1867 of Jacob born about 1866.  This fit well with one a Jacob I was interested in - son of Brand Hop and Lubbertjen Luchtenberg.  His mother was related to me on two lines - her mother was the sister of Aalt Lubbertsen Hop, her father was the brother of Pietertje Willems.  Aalt and Pietertje were the parents of Lubbertje Hop, wife of Willem Morren.  So, two of my great-great-great-great-grandfathers were Jacob's great-grandfathers.  Got that??  I think Brand Hop (father of Jacob) is also related to me, but not sure yet.

So. I pulled up the image of that passenger list   It was definitely the Jacob of interest.  Listed directly above him is Jan Witteveen, age 14.  This is Jacob's half-brother from his mother's first marriage, to Jan Witteveen. (Jan the father died in October 1852, and Jan the son was born in February of 1853.) Next above on the passenger list are Wilhelm ", Jeannette  " and above that Hendrik  ".  I believe them to be Willem, Jannitje and Hendrik Luchtenberg - the brother, sister and father of Lubbertje.  Then is Lubbertje Luchtenberg  and listed above her name, Brand Hop.


So, clearly, this is the Luchtenberg family related to me..  It certainly helps that on this list the women are listed under their own surnames in the Dutch manner, not under the husband's name.

But - the real find of this story is this:
Since I was already browsing the list to find who was traveling with Jacob, I continued to scroll up the list.  Next was a Timmer family.  I know there are Timmers from the same village and who married Hops (although so far not proven to be related).
Next up the list -- my Morren family!! But that is a whole other story...


3 comments:

  1. I started a blog about my Dutch ancestors in Kalamazoo, so I'll be reading your blog with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,

    Judging by this family tree we are cousins. I am a descendent of the Willis Morren and Agatta van Eck line. I too have been doing some digging on the Luchtenberg side. From the stuff I have found on Ancestry.com and Geneology Online NL we are descended from Willem Diederick van der Burcht van Luchtenberg, b 1775 in Tholen. As I suspect Willem Willemsen Luchtenberg 1777 might be the same person. What do you think? Or has my research gone haywire somewhere.

    Maybe it is worth collaborating on research and sharing what we know. I have been using the DeVries family tree as a reference. There are some good solid birth, death marriage and baptismal records on that tree.

    Regards, LH
    PS: My email is lukeh74@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am related to you. My great grandfather in Jan Witteveen. Jacob Hop was his uncle and he actually worked on his farm. Please email me at dkwestbrook2@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete